Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Catholics in Pro Football

For Catholic pro-football players, faith more than a pre-game prayer
By Gina Mazza Hillier, Michael C. Gabriele and Dave Hrbacek
9/15/2006

Catholic News Service
PITTSBURGH, Pa. (CNS) – Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu is not an NFL superstar who happens to be a man of faith. Rather, in his heart, he is simply "a Christian with a passion for Jesus."

Football, Polamalu said, "gives me confirmation of how I can carry out my faith. It's my way to glorify God."


I always find it uplifting to read about how others live their faith. Even in a 'violent' sport like football it is possible to be propelled by one's love for Jesus rather than a desire to hurt your opponents.

"Football, in general, has it backwards," he [Polamalu] said. "They think this inner anger, this hatred, is what drives football and becomes the physical aspect of the game. But love overcomes all things. My love to glorify God through my playing will far outweigh anybody's hate for me."

No comments: